Monday, February 16, 2015

Mommy reboot

We spent our Valentine’s Day weekend in Faraya, Mzaar, staying with our neighbors in their chalet. The snow was amazing, the weather fine, and the kids cooperative. Our two older boys have only skied a couple of times before, and the philosopher doesn't ski at all. I used to ski quite a bit when we lived in Europe and before I met my husband, but it has been many years since I really skied. On Saturday I stayed on the baby slope with the boys, instructing them, teaching them techniques, how to turn, stop, slow down, and speed up. One of the boys was a natural, the other one scared and insecure. I didn't take the five year old up, since I thought it would be too difficult to manage all of them on the slope - our neighbor’s full time nanny watched the toddler and the five year old while we went skiing. They know and like her, and together, they had a good time. I was still nervous about leaving the toddler for so long though, since we don’t usually do this. As it turned out, everything was great. On the second day, the nanny took care of the younger boys again, and I took the older boys up. After a couple of runs on the baby slope, we went further up to a blue slope. The natural managed great, however the scared and insecure boy lost control, sped down the slope way too fast, and fell, twisting his knee. Lots of drama, crying big tears, and some pain, but as it turned out, mainly fear. After a soda on the terrace, he was ready to try again, on the baby slope. I was very proud of him for getting back on the skies, but I could tell that he was so scared he barely enjoyed the experience any more. I did my best to encourage him, and in the end, he seemed satisfied. Not very enthusiastic - like the natural, who’s already begging me to take him back up skiing soon - but happy. The toddler had a great morning with the nanny and my friend, and towards the end of the morning – two boys happily playing with people I trust, one boy sipping soda on the terrace, the other boy skiing on the baby slope, confidently going up the lift by himself - I felt like I had an opportunity to take a moment and enjoy myself, just me, so I took the big lift to the top, and skied all the way down through a series of blue and red slopes.
It was absolutely fantastic. I rarely ever even get to go to the bathroom by myself, let alone do things I enjoy, so this was a real treat – a once in several years kind of pleasure, and boy did I enjoy it. I took my time, swooping back and forth slowly down the perfect slopes, relishing every turn through the powder snow, stopping a few times to take in the view and the moment. Alone, healthy and strong. Nobody there asking me to nurse, help with math, make lunch, proofread an article; no laundry, dishes, messes – just me, my skis and the snow, a beautiful blue sky, fresh crisp air, and a few moments to myself. It was awesome, almost like a mother reboot. I came down refreshed and stronger, ready for a new week of homeschooling, work, laundry dishes, cooking, trying to reason with a toddler… You know. All those things. What’s your reboot?

No comments:

Post a Comment