Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Kick back parenting - four is less

I recently read a study based on interviews with parents, that concluded that having one or two children is more stressful than having four. Not because there’s less work, but because the parents of more than three children who participated in the study were more relaxed about their current situation. It turns out, that when you only have two children, you try to do *it all*, however once you are outnumbered as parents, you basically throw in the towel. You decide that you just can’t do it all – you admit that you can’t control everything; family, home, work, social life – and when you stop trying to do and be *everything*, you relax. Your life becomes less stressful.

[Or maybe these people are so exhausted, they don’t even have the energy to stress anymore.]

Let us note for the record here that less stressful and more relaxed doesn't mean quitting your job, pouring yourself a cosmopolitan and watching your kids tear down the house. It just means that you learn to prioritize (occasionally, a cosmopolitan will be a top priority though) and stop worrying so much. You still try and work hard, but your efforts become more… focused.


This is me. A little more relaxed, hard-working and confident. I do a lot of things, but I've become better over these past years at doing what I think is important, and what matters to me and my family. I'm more effective and focused.

Most of the time, anyways. Today I think we as a family managed both to be productive AND tear down the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment