Monday, September 7, 2015

Where have I been?!

I have been determined for a while now to start writing again, and you have no idea how good it feels to put these words on paper!

At the end of last semester I started being able to get some more computer time for myself without the continuous interruption of the toddler. However, I then had to spend all my newfound computer time working over the summer. You see, my dear philosopher husband got accepted to no less than three conferences over the summer, and his employer only pays for (most of) one. Since we are already in a financial pickle most of the year (assistant professors in the humanities here do not make enough to support a foreign family of 6!) I had to step in.

As you can imagine, I’ve had more exciting summers. When I didn’t work, or attempted to work with a demanding toddler by my side, I took care of the house, kept a low key summer school going with the boys, and in general tried not to spend any money. We went to the beach quite a bit, for an hour or so almost every day; my little slice of paradise just a couple of minutes’ walk from our house. We also figured out how to make really awesome bagels, something that is difficult to find here, which was detrimental to my weight, but provided some diversion.

In sum, my summer consisted of three fairly dull but financially necessary months.

Though. One noteworthy accomplishment in our household this summer was the potty training of young master Max. Although he only just turned two right before summer, he started using the potty quite successfully at his own initiative, and was, within only a couple of weeks, fully potty trained. No more diapers here! Not even at night. I can hardly believe it. We’ve been a great sponsor of Pampers and Huggies for well over a decade now, and suddenly, it’s over. Just like that. It feels great, a tiny little bit sad (our last baby!), but mostly awesome. I am still waiting for my medal from the president or something like that. Don’t they give mothers of four boys awards after four successful potty trainings? If not, then they certainly should!


Our summer officially ended last week with our back to full school, and I finished my last job for a little while on Thursday. It is still summer weather here, of course, and we will keep going to the beach until it closes at the end of this month, but the rhythm has changed, and I am turning my attention to the boys – and myself – for a while. So here; to a new academic year! May yours be as prosperous and wonderful as you hope, and may all our notebooks be filled with exciting knowledge, adventures, and insights!

No comments:

Post a Comment